Being a teenager isn’t easy – between numerous academic and family commitments, exam stress, and social pressure to fit in with the crowd, the last thing most teens want is an uncomfortable, highly visible orthodontic treatment. Fortunately, Invisalign offers a discreet, comfortable alternative to traditional braces that was specifically created with young adolescents in mind.
Why teens benefit from orthodontic treatment
Although it’s never too late to straighten your teeth, the optimal time to get orthodontic treatment is during the early teen years when you have most (if not all) or your adult teeth but the jawbone and facial structure is still developing. This makes it easier to adjust the position of the tooth roots if needed.
Advantages of Invisalign treatment for teens
Given the choice, many teens prefer Invisalign treatment to traditional braces, and the specialists here at Chiswick Park Dental & Facial will be happy to advise on whether it is suitable for your son or daughter. Some of the benefits of Invisalign include:
- Barely visible appearance – As its name suggests, Invisalign clear aligners are hardly noticeable. This is ideal for self-conscious teenagers who may be worried about being teased about their appearance during orthodontic treatment.
- No dietary restrictions – Traditional braces have fixed wires and brackets that necessitate a list of restrictions (no chewy sweets, for example). Because Invisalign is a removable treatment, your teen won’t need to miss out on any treats that their peers are enjoying.
- Better oral hygiene – Brushing and flossing is much easier with a removable brace system that doesn’t involve navigating around brackets and wires.
- No social restrictions – Traditional braces can sometimes get in the way of teens enjoying contact sports or learning some types of musical instruments. Because Invisalign is removable, your teen won’t need to worry about damaging their braces while they participate in extra-curricular activities.
Additional Invisalign features just for teens
The Invisalign Teen system offers some added features that are specifically designed to help teenage patients. These include:
- Blue wear indicators – These are small blue dots at the back of the aligners that fade over time so parents and dentists can check that they are being worn for the required 20-22 hours a day.
- Replacement aligners – Six free individual replacement aligners are included in the treatment plan in case any are lost or misplaced.
- Eruption tabs – For teens whose adult teeth haven’t finished growing, eruption tabs leave space in the aligners to accommodate new teeth that are still erupting.
At Chiswick Park Dental & Facial we offer a free 15-minute Invisalign evaluation, with Saturday appointments available until 8pm. Contact us today to book your teen an appointment with one of our friendly and professional specialists.